- We believe that learning about the past helps us to understand our present.
- We teach history as the story of our world from the beginning of time to the present and help children understand that the present will one day be part of history, using narrative to teach about key people and events from our local area, our country, and the wider world.
- We help children to understand that the majority of human history occurred before the invention of writing, so much of our knowledge of these times is based on historians’ interpretation of artefacts, which may change over time as new evidence becomes available.
- We help children understand that we learn about the past from a range of sources (primary and secondary) and give children skills to evaluate whether a source may be biased as well as analysing the validity of different viewpoints around the same event or person.
- Our curriculum aims to represent the history of a range of diverse people and draws on local expertise and resources to enhance teaching about key people and events in our town, including the historical importance of Tudor buildings in Scarborough and the Bombardment of our town in WWI.
Please click here for the Whole School History Progression
Click here to see the theme areas which are taught throughout the school.
Friarage Theme Overview Years 1 to 6
For Nursery and Reception, please see the EYFS section